Britbox is an oh-so-popular streaming service that’s ‘unavailable’ in certain parts of the world, which means that, usually, you can’t access it if you’ve ventured outside the UK. But we’ve done our research here at GadgetMouse – it turns out you can access Britbox abroad if you have a trustworthy VPN at hand. But if you already have a VPN and it’s not working, then what’s the problem? Our handy, jargon-free guide explains what to do if your VPN isn’t working with Britbox.
You really don’t want to be staring at an error message every time you try and use Britbox outside the UK. If your current VPN isn’t working with this series-packed streaming service, there’s a very high chance that Britbox has blacklisted the VPN server you’re trying to connect with. That means you won’t be able to use your account until you’re back in the UK. Our guide explains how to solve the problem.
In this article:
- How to use Britbox abroad
- Why is Britbox not working with my VPN?
- How does Britbox detect my VPN?
- The best VPNs for Britbox in 2021
How to use Britbox abroad: quick guide
- Get ExpressVPN (£6.28+), Ivacy ($1.33+), NordVPN (£2.71+) or PureVPN ($2.91+)
- Open the VPN and connect to a server based in the UK
- Sign in to your Britbox account
- Use Britbox from anywhere in the world
Why is Britbox not working with my VPN?
If the Britbox website comes to the conclusion that you’re trying to access it from a restricted region, your connection will be blocked right away.
Let’s say that your current VPN isn’t working with Britbox. Most likely, that’s because it’s not doing a very good job of spoofing (hiding) your location. Some or all of the VPN servers you have available to you through that service may be blacklisted. If you swap over to a better VPN, however, you’ll have no troubles at all.
How does Britbox detect my VPN?
We’ve seen our fair share of below-average VPNs. These flawed services don’t do a very good job of hiding your real location, which means Britbox will stop you from streaming through the website. When the Britbox website uncovers a VPN, it’ll blacklist the temporary IP address provided by your VPN so you can’t continue to use it. In our experience, the worst VPNs do a very poor job of replacing their blacklisted servers.
Have a browse through our recommended VPNs below and enjoy a superior alternative. You’ll be watching your favourite shows through Britbox in no time.
The best VPNs for Britbox in 2021
- 1-month subscription: £9.77 per month
- 6-month subscription: £7.54 per month
- 12-month subscription: £6.28 per month (Save 35%)
If the VPN you’re using right now isn’t working 100% of the time with Britbox, we suggest you switch over to ExpressVPN. We’ll happily recommend this beginner-friendly VPN over and over again – it’s easy to use (we wouldn’t mention it if it wasn’t), speedy and works great if you’re looking to access Britbox from abroad.
ExpressVPN does a delightfully good job of replacing its blacklisted servers. That means that, even if Britbox decides to temporarily disable incoming connections from ExpressVPN, the VPN will have a replacement server up and running ASAP. To access your account, all you need to do is open up ExpressVPN, connect to a server based in the UK and go from there.
This VPN keeps your real IP address hidden around the clock, so websites (including Britbox, of course) won’t know you’re accessing content from abroad. ExpressVPN members benefit from servers in over 90 countries across the globe.
- Watch Britbox wherever you are using ExpressVPN
- Replaces blacklisted servers ASAP
- Works on lots of different devices including Mac, PC, Android or iOS smartphones
- 1-month subscription: $9.95 per month
- 1-year subscription: $3.50 per month (Save 65%)
- 5-year subscription: $1.33 per month (Save 87%)
Ivacy is worth a look if you want to enjoy Britbox while you’re travelling. This is one of the most popular, affordable VPNs around, thanks in part to its battle against blacklisted servers.
This trusted VPN can hide your real location so you can use all of Britbox’s features, even if you’ve roamed outside the UK. Use our link below and you can get instant access to over 1,000 VPNs servers across the world. A single Ivacy membership means you can protect up to 10 gadgets at a time.
- Unlock Britbox in minutes using Ivacy
- Great for newbies
- High-speed downloads around the clock
Try Ivacy with our unique discount code (30-day money-back guarantee). For 20% off, use our code: Ivacy20.
For more on Ivacy, you can read our full Ivacy review.
- 1-month subscription: £8.84 per month
- 1-year subscription: £3.64 per month (Save 58%)
- 2-year subscription: £2.71 per month (Save 69%)
Here’s another VPN for your shortlist if you want to use Britbox abroad. NordVPN has servers all over the world and all of them are protected by military-grade encryption. That means they’re extremely secure and you can connect without handing over your personal data to companies that shouldn’t own it.
If you run into trouble while using NordVPN, you can make use of the live chat feature for a helping hand.
- Keep both you and your family secure online
- The easy-to-use app is a treat
- Secure your online activities once and for all
- 1-month subscription: $10.95 per month
- 1-year subscription: $3.74 per month (Save 66%)
- 2-year subscription: $2.91 per month (Save 73%)
If your current VPN doesn’t work with Britbox, try this. PureVPN is powerful enough to unlock geo-locked websites so you can enjoy them without a hassle. You’ll be able to log in to your Britbox account even if you’re in a country where it doesn’t usually work.
- Access VPN servers all over the world to connect to Britbox
- Unlock the full Britbox website in a couple of clicks
- Keep your real location hidden at all times
Prices listed above correct at time of publication