ESPN+ is designed for use within the US, which means that if you’re trying to stream content outside America, you’ll hit a brick wall. Usually, a VPN would come to the rescue here, allowing you to spoof your location if you’re abroad so you can keep watching. But what if your current VPN isn’t working with ESPN+? We’ll help you fix it.
We’ll cut to the chase. If your current VPN isn’t working with ESPN+, there’s a high chance that the VPN server you’re trying to use has been blacklisted by ESPN. In other words, you won’t be able to watch live sport if you’re outside America. Have a read through our guide for more details.
In this article:
- How to use ESPN+ abroad: quick guide
- Why is ESPN+ not working with my VPN?
- How does ESPN+ detect my VPN?
- The best VPNs for ESPN+ in 2021
How to use ESPN+ abroad: quick guide
- Get ExpressVPN (£6.28+), Ivacy ($1.33+), NordVPN (£2.71+) or PureVPN ($2.91+)
- Open the VPN and connect to a server based in the US
- Sign in to your ESPN+ account
- Use ESPN+ from anywhere in the world
Why is ESPN+ not working with my VPN?
In the event that the ESPN+ website works out that you’re trying to access it from a restricted region, your connection will be blocked every time. A support page on ESPN’s own website explains: “At this time, ESPN Streaming is only available on U.S. domestic providers.”
If your current VPN isn’t working with ESPN+, it’s clearly not doing a very good job of spoofing your location. Some or all of the VPN servers you have available to you through that service may be blacklisted. Swapping to a more reliable VPN will save you some trouble.
How does ESPN+ detect my VPN?
Rubbish VPNs don’t do a very good job of hiding your true location, which means ESPN+ prevents you from streaming content. When the ESPN+ website identifies VPN use, it’ll blacklist the temporary IP address provided by your VPN so you can’t use it again. The worst VPNs do a lousy job of replacing their blacklisted servers, which means you’re left in the dark.
Your best bet? Have a look at our recommended VPNs below and enjoy a superior service. And don’t worry – you don’t need to spend big to get yourself a top-tier VPN.
The best VPNs for ESPN+ in 2021
- 1-month subscription: £9.77 per month
- 6-month subscription: £7.54 per month
- 12-month subscription: £6.28 per month (Save 35%)
If the VPN you’re using at the moment just refuses to work, then it’s time to switch over to ExpressVPN. We’ll happily recommend this newbie-friendly VPN over and over again – it’s easy to use, speedy and works brilliantly if you’re looking to access ESPN+ from abroad. You won’t have to stare at annoying error messages on the ESPN+ website if you’re protected by this tried and tested VPN.
Crucially, ExpressVPN does a fantastic job of replacing its blacklisted servers. That means that, even if ESPN+ temporarily disables incoming connections from ExpressVPN, the VPN will have a replacement server up and running ASAP. To access your account, all you need to do is open up ExpressVPN, connect to a US-based server and go from there.
ExpressVPN keeps your real IP address hidden around the clock, so websites won’t know you’re accessing content from abroad. Every ExpressVPN member can enjoy servers in over 90 countries around the world. This VPN works on loads of different gadgets including Mac, PC, Android or iOS smartphone.
- Keep yourself hidden while you’re online using this trusted VPN
- Unlock the ESPN+ website by hiding your real IP address and location
- ExpressVPN is proven to replace blacklisted servers sooner rather than later
- 1-month subscription: $9.95 per month
- 1-year subscription: $3.50 per month (Save 65%)
- 5-year subscription: $1.33 per month (Save 87%)
Ivacy is a great pick if you want to enjoy ESPN+ while you’re travelling. This is one of the most popular, affordable VPNs around, thanks in part to its battle against blacklisted servers. The cheapest Ivacy subscription will only set you back $2.45 per month, which is pretty good in our opinion.
This trusted VPN will effectively hide your real location so you can use all of ESPN+’s features, even if you’ve bravely roamed outside the US. Use our exclusive link below and you get instant access to over 1,000 VPNs servers across the world. A single membership to Ivacy also means you can protect up to 10 gadgets at a time.
- Unblock the ESPN+ website in just a couple of clicks
- Unlimited bandwidth with all subscriptions
- High-speed downloads
Try Ivacy with our unique discount code (30-day money-back guarantee). For 20% off, use our code: Ivacy20.
For more on Ivacy, you can read our full Ivacy review.
- 1-month subscription: £8.84 per month
- 1-year subscription: £3.64 per month (Save 58%)
- 2-year subscription: £2.71 per month (Save 69%)
Here’s another VPN for your shortlist if you want to use ESPN+ while you’re travelling. NordVPN has servers all over the world and all of them are protected by military-grade encryption. That means they’re extremely secure and you can connect without handing over your personal data to companies that shouldn’t own it.
If you run into trouble while getting to grips with NordVPN, you can make use of the live chat feature for a helping hand.
- Keep yourself and your loved ones secure online without buying loads of VPN accounts
- NordVPN’s easy-to-use app is great for newbies
- Unlock ESPN+ from anywhere in the world
- 1-month subscription: $10.95 per month
- 1-year subscription: $3.74 per month (Save 66%)
- 2-year subscription: $2.91 per month (Save 73%)
If your current VPN doesn’t work with ESPN+, it’s time to treat yourself to a better alternative. PureVPN is a great example, being powerful enough to unlock geo-locked websites so you can enjoy them without a hassle. You’ll be able to log in to your ESPN+ account even if you’re in a country where it doesn’t usually work.
ESPN+ aside, PureVPN also works with ITV Hub, Hulu and Amazon Prime. There are around 2,000 secure PureVPN servers based in over 130 different countries.
- Access VPN servers all over the world to connect to ESPN+
- Unlock ESPN+ with a single PureVPN account
- Military-grade encryption to keep your real location hidden at all times
Prices listed above correct at time of publication