ITV is cracking down on some VPNs and preventing TV addicts from streaming outside the UK. If you’re struggling with a dodgy, unreliable VPN, it’s time to get an upgrade. Our handy guide explains what to do if ITV Hub isn’t working with your VPN.
We’ll give it to you straight – your current VPN has most likely been blacklisted by ITV Hub and hasn’t yet replaced its blocked server/s. Joining forces with a brand new, more-much-reliable VPN is going to solve your problems. Below, we run through four awesome VPNs that effortlessly unlock ITV Hub content in just a couple of clicks.
In this article:
- How to watch ITV Hub abroad: quick guide
- Can I watch ITV Hub outside the UK?
- Why is ITV Hub not working with my VPN?
- The best VPNs for ITV Hub in 2021
How to watch ITV Hub abroad: quick guide
- Get ExpressVPN (£6.28+), Ivacy ($1.33+), NordVPN (£2.71+) or PureVPN ($2.91+)
- Open the VPN and connect to a UK-based server
- Watch ITV Hub from anywhere in the world
Can I watch ITV Hub outside the UK?
Yes – you have two options. The first involves signing up for ITV Hub+ (a paid service) so you can stream content abroad in certain EU countries.
A message on the ITV website says: ‘Thanks to new regulations in place from April 1st 2018, Hub+ subscribers are now able to enjoy their Hub+ benefits when they go abroad within the EU.’
But (and it’s a big ‘but’), paying £3.99 won’t give you full access that lets you stream in any country you want. We think you’re better off buying a VPN to stream ITV shows live. With one of our trusted VPNs, you’ll be able to use ITV Hub abroad no matter where you are.
Why is ITV Hub not working with my VPN?
There are a number of reasons why your VPN might not be working with ITV Hub. Most of the time, we find that the reason is linked to blacklisted servers. ITV Hub not working is easily fixed by picking one of our top-rated VPNs.
ITV Hub is a UK streaming service, so you need to be connected to a UK-based VPN server to open it up and enjoy it. However, if lots of people are using the same temporary IP address assigned by their VPN, there’s a high of ITV blocking connections from that service.
Rubbish VPNs do a bad job of replacing their blacklisted servers. Sometimes, ITV Hub will identify your VPN server and block it so it can’t be used again. The worst VPNs we’ve seen don’t bother offering you a replacement, which means you’re stuck with a service that doesn’t work with ITV Hub. The best VPNs around replace their blacklisted servers ASAP, so you’re rarely left in the dark for long.
All of the VPNs we’re recommending in this guide do a fantastic job of replacing servers that have been blacklisted by ITV Hub.
The best VPNs for ITV Hub in 2021
- 1-month subscription: £9.77 per month
- 6-month subscription: £7.54 per month
- 12-month subscription: £6.28 per month (Save 35%)
ExpressVPN is a great VPN and one of the most popular options compatible with ITV Hub. With a single account, you can battle geo-restricted websites and enjoy content without hassle. This service will keep your IP address hidden at all times, leaving you to stream ITV shows safe from dreaded error pop-ups.
By creating an ExpressVPN account today, you can stream ITV favourites including Love Island: Australia and Marcella without worrying about location locks. Members get access to lightning-fast VPN servers in over 90 countries around the world. None of your data is kept on file, so you can rest assured that the company values your privacy.
You can enjoy ExpressVPN on PC, Mac, Android and iOS smartphones.
- Keeps your personal information private and secure
- Compatible with smartphones, tablets and laptops
- ExpressVPN is a service built for speed
- 1-month subscription: $9.95 per month
- 1-year subscription: $3.50 per month (Save 65%)
- 5-year subscription: $1.33 per month (Save 87%)
Ivacy is one of the cheapest paid-for VPNs you can get, but that doesn’t mean it’s lacking on quality. In fact, this is one of the most popular VPNs for ITV Hub, complete with over 1,000 servers across the globe. In just a couple of clicks, you can connect to any one of them and unlock geo-restricted apps including BBC iPlayer, Hulu and Netflix.
A single subscription to this affordable VPN can be used on 10 devices at once. There are several safety features, too, including secure WiFi and an internet kill switch that keeps your identify private even if your VPN connection fails.
Ivacy works with PCs, Macs, tablets and even games consoles.
- Offers effective protection against malware
- Unlimited bandwidth for all users
- Optimized VPN servers for high-speed downloads
Try Ivacy with our unique discount code (30-day money-back guarantee). For 20% off, use our code: Ivacy20.
For more on Ivacy, you can read our full Ivacy review.
- 1-month subscription: £8.84 per month
- 1-year subscription: £3.64 per month (Save 58%)
- 2-year subscription: £2.71 per month (Save 69%)
NordVPN servers are all over the world and each one is protected using military-grade encryption. That means that you’re free to browse the web and stream ITV Hub shows without your internet service provider being able to keep track of you.
Alongside speedy servers compatible with ITV Hub, NordVPN also hosts a 24/7 live chat service that will come to your rescue if you get stuck.
- Protect yourself and loved ones without buying multiple accounts
- Easy-to-use app lets you pick a server and connect
- Secure online traffic with leading-edge encryption
- 1-month subscription: $10.95 per month
- 1-year subscription: $3.74 per month (Save 66%)
- 2-year subscription: $2.91 per month (Save 73%)
Have a closer look at PureVPN if you want to watch ITV Hub in non-EU countries. Aside from unlocking ITV shows like For the Love of Dogs, PureVPN also works with Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Prime. You can jump in and experience the benefits on a 7-day trial if you don’t want to spend money just yet.
This VPN has around 2,000 secure servers in over 130 countries, which is pretty amazing. Give PureVPN a try if you’re travelling abroad or living overseas permanently.
- Instant access to your favourite shows on ITV Hub
- Military-grade encryption to keep you anonymous at all times
- PureVPN offers up a global network of VPN servers
Prices listed above correct at time of publication